It has been nearly 7 months of the world having to fight for survival through the Wuhan Virus Pandemic. School and colleges were shut down during the LockDown Versions 1.0, 2.0, 3.O, and subsequently the unlocking phases of 1, 2, and 3.
Even though the nCOVID19 virus rampages across the world. We still don’t have a vaccine.
As Education cannot be “paused”, the world had to and is still finding out new technologies, pedagogies, content, Assessment methodologies, and Pedagogies.
We entered the CIV Pandemic era suddenly. It was a flashpoint of starts, while WHO, possibly sponsored or “educated” by China, was telling the world a pack of lies.
When a pandemic happened, many countries like India, to Europe, and America’s had to make Technology an imperative part of delivering the complete teaching-education system, while keeping kids engaged with the hands-on learning experience, interaction with teachers online, which for a couple of decades was considered a “nice to have”, but not a “must-have”.
The reality that we were selling them was about use of technology for all facets of education, empowering the teaching-learning processes, Peer Group learning, Collaborative online projects provide opportunities to offer multidisciplinary learning.
Using Zoom was the easiest tool to move all the online learning lectures. They were just teaching happening and students (Hopefully) listening in carefully. Over the last 6 months, EdTech Industries have evolved in two ways. 1. the Pedagogical approaches have changed, hence needing precise and well-designed content and technology amended to.
For the COVID Era we have seen paradigm shifts in following areas:
- The teachers and students are not present in the same physical confines of a classroom.
- Learning material and the pedagogical approaches to deliver them online has been different and is still evolving
- Assessments /Tests/Exams (including High-Stakes proctoring ., even auto proctoring is available
- We have delivered a number of projects online, where students from different parts of the world participate, they are free to pick the team members, but diversity is important. The diversity in setting up the projects and the diversity in each of the teams. It could even be challenges or competitions which push the children to think creatively and sharpen their problem-solving skills. A reward for the winners should be interesting and creative.
- There are many more engaging models to nearly accomplish the Learning outcomes that were set during the pre-COVID Times.
- With about 6 months of using Education Technology as the main educational strategy, we have tried different pedagogies, different approaches to Instructional Design of the Content, different Assessment paradigms.
- All the above are involving to deal with some local challenges, cultural differences. Some of the changes can be accommodated, but some, particularly history and social sciences will see contradictions.
It is all evolving for the better, by next calendar year, will be a great blend of face2face teaching-learning processes, but blended, and with a sense of freedom for students to pick subjects of their choice and hence the freedom to pursue academic programs they will enjoy, most definitely ones that have immense career opportunities.
We may be half-way into the pandemic, and I think this the right time to surveys of each education group, the advantages, and disadvantages that each of the key stakeholders sees. That will help make minor adjustments in the new education Era, that could deliver an effective blended model of Education.
If we are mid-way through the Wuhan Pandemic, this may the right time to do a reality check on the direction we are taking, long-term investments we are making in each education segment have to be validated now.
We should design, and also obtain metrics from across the world. I Understand the feedback on how we could improve pedagogies, content, and technology itself. it is upto the key stakeholder in Education, particularly Education Technology to ensure that it maximizes the effectiveness of Education, in the postCovid Era, use technology in Education to make it more effective.